15 February 2006

California Sunrise

Here's another nice scene, this time off the coast of California, looking back to the east, just after the sun begins to peek over the mountains. We're just south of Watsonville, California. I love the way the sunlight and the mountain shadows have colored the haze layer that settled in the valleys overnight, and the way little blobs of steam rise from various factories and industrial buildings. A light ocean breeze has kept the thicker clouds several miles inland. I imagine that people down there are just waking up, stretching, yawning, and looking out the window. My work day is 20 minutes from ending, with a smooth landing in San Francisco, followed by a mad dash to the hotel, where I'll pull the curtains closed and try to sleep while attempting to convince myself that I didn't just see the sun rise.